Friday 3 May 2013

Tutorial: Freehand on Shields

I have had a lot of compliments of the freehand designs on my Tzeentch Warriors of Chaos. And I'm really happy my self with how they turned out so I decided to just make a short and easy Tutorial on how I paint them. They say that a picture says more than a thousand words and this is true with this tutorial, hope you find it useful.

Base colour is the old Citadel colour Enchanted Blue then a wash of Army Painters Dark Tone Ink.

I then make a Highlight with Ench. Blue around the edges and then a finer  HL with the new Citadel colour Temple Guard Blue. Now I can start with the actual design, a cross in the middle. Painted with Citadel Mephiston Red.

I than make the cross into a circle which I fill with Mephiston Red in thin layers until I think it looks good and even. 

I then add the rest of the design I had in mind, in case a small Tzeentch marking and flames.

I then paint with Citadel Blazing Orange 

Next colour is Citadel Averland Sunset, now you start too see how it will turn out.

Last yellow high light I do with Vallejo Sun Yellow.

The last and final step, black in pupil of the eye and I also painted some around the the flames to get better contrast. The last thing before considering it done and finished is a little white dot in the eye. And then we are done.
Freehand is easy for some and really hard for others, the best tip I can give you is to just try it out. Do some of your designs just to see how it looks and then do it some more. You need practice to get good at free hand but for some it comes more naturally. I consider by self quite good at free hand but sometimes the end result of the design I'm painting that didn't came out as I was expected, so I redo it, and redo it until I'm content with the result. 

4 comments:

  1. Just come across your blog, a very cool tutorial, i gotta follow. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and glad you made it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you "redo it" if you don't like your result?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordan - Just as it sounds really. Paint over the bits you weren't happy with the background colour and re paint it until you like the result.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...